Not only when I download something from SourceForge these days am I presented a proxy-downloader that tries to sell me on installing some unsolicited system utility — like a browser home page take over — it manages to install some other bullshit system utilities as well. Holy shit. This is not the Sourceforge I used to use. It is seriously WASTING MY TIME and making me HATE free (as in beer) software on Windows! Can’t they tell how much they are pissing in the well?
All I wanted to do was install Filezilla. Now I have crap to uninstall as well. Who at OSDL or FSDL or knumbskull.com do I have to strangle to stop this?
Update: Malwarebytes just popped up and said it blocked some malware. It started scanning and found four new bits of badness on my filesystem and asked me to reboot. Sure.
Java has supported Linux Hugepages for a while, but it is not on by default. I like to squeeze the most performance out of my IDE so I turned it on. And here are the settings I used for Intellij now:
> cat idea64.vmoptions
I was not anticipating it not being able to reach channel 11, so I set it to channel 1. Also, it cannot do 802.11n, so I set it to 802.11g. My cell phone seems to be able to use it.
Also, for some reason, my pogoplug syncs up to the same switch better than my laptop does. Using iperf on my laptop, I get a max of 95Mbps, yet on my pogoplug I get 180Mbps over the LAN. That is just too wierd.
Helping a friend setup time machine backups to his new NAS device. Reasonable howto so far.
Time Machine on a network drive.
Unfortunately, when you see some of the examples of how to get ‘computer name’ and ‘drive name,’ you might not get familysomething.local as your hostname, it might be ‘familysomething.routerbrand.com.’ Why familysomething would gain the home routers brand domain name seems like a travesty. I hate that kind of tinkering with dhcp settings. And also, when you want to ping your nas, chances are it does not register it’s hostname, so you cannot ping the name reported in the Apple Finder.
I have gotten about as far as I can go…I can boot a Fedora netinstall cd, and I can attempt to fdisk /dev/sda, but this device will not open in fdisk. This might be consistent with no “rdsk” device in the dev tree. Funny though, I can fdisk /dev/zd0, and it lists partitions.
Could this be a problem with how I have my vmdk setup?
I am trying to create zvol backed virtualbox guests using ZFS on Linux. Hopefully this is not too ambitious.
- Find size of original .VDI disk image: vboxmanage showhdinfo Fedora19.vdi
- Pass that file size into zfs create: zfs create -V40960M tank/VMs/Fedora19
- Convert .vdi file to raw, best if you can do this from one hd to another. In my case I’m reading from a zvol and writing to an ssd: vboxmanage clonehd Fedora19.vdi ~/tmp/Fedora19.raw –format RAW
- Load that back into a raw parition image: dd if=~/tmp/Fedora19.raw of=/dev/zvol/tank/VMs/9101-f19 bs=1280k
- now we can check partitions: vboxmanage internalcommands listpartitions –rawdisk /dev/zvol/tank/VMs/9101-f19
- Then we can create a vmdk file for the raw parition: vboxmanage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/VirtualBox\ VMs/9101-f19/9101-f19-B.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/zvol/tank/VMs/9101-f19 -partitions 1,2,3
- create an idea controller: vboxmanage storagectl …vboxmanage storagectl 9101-f19-B –name IDE –add ide
- add blank version of hard drive: vboxmanage storageattach 9101-f19-B –storagectl IDE –port 0 –device 0 –mtype normal –type hdd –medium none
- add hard drive: vboxmanage storageattach 9101-f19-B –storagectl IDE –port 0 –device 0 –mtype normal –type hdd –medium “/home/jreynolds/VirtualBox VMs/9101-f19-B/9101-f19-B.vmdk”
- …attach the CD rom and then repair the system…somehow my disk image stopped being bootable. :-(
This might have been a 1964 Fairlane, but the details (like bumper blinker) do not match images I found.
This was one of the two vehicles abandoned on Jay and Ellen’s property from previous owners. There are so many bits of nostalgic junk back there that I could be in photo subjects for a straight year.
Pentax K10D 50mm, f2, 800iso, 1/16-1/64 bracketed; Hugin stacked HDR pano; three layers in Gimp: color enhanced, gray values. This picture will span two monitors.
I found this on my walk with Jay. He has a trash pile tucked away in his property, left my many previous owners. Tires, TVs, old appliances, all covered over with blackberries and moss.
Driving console found in trash pile
Pentax K10D 50mm, 800iso, f3, 1/30-1/100 bracketed. HDR pano in Hugin; three layers in Gimp: gray, color enhanced.
A molex to sata adapter, not the busted one.
When I was reassembling the drive cages in Beavertail, it was definitely plain that one set was more damaged than the adjacent set. The only two obvious flaws were heat, and grounding.
I had been monitoring the heat off and on, and the drives never even got higher than 90F, and they are laptop drives, so they should stand up to 120F.
The orientation of the drive cages was less professional. I noticed that one was sitting where some drive PCB could touch the chassis, which was a tip off.
But when putting the cages back together, one of the Molex splitters was busted. It had a yellow lead pushed backwards making dubious contact inside the housing, and one of the y leads had broken free.
Well, good thing I had a pocket knife: the spreaders on the bullet connection were bent backwards. I also opened the rear of the bullet, stripped the loose wire down and chomped it back onto form with my teeth.
I Frackin Hate(tm) those dirt ball Molex connectors. You spend more time on fixing them than snapping them together. Tip: after the housing is snapped together, shove each wire into it further.
And the happy ending: I only lost three files out of two different snapshots. The snapshots I didn’t need, so I destroyed them, and resilvering cleaned up the mess. After putting the cages back, I ran a final scrub and it went fine.