Let’s get the kids out on bikes with their buddies on Saturdays or Sundays for picnics at our various beautiful parks! This should get the kids used to helping pack for trips on the bike, and cycling to progressively distant parks.
I like to cook sausages on my portable propane grille for lunch, and you’re welcome to share. Food in general though (for various dietary reasons) is pack-your-own. I suggest raw veggies and cheese sticks as finger foods for grazing on while they dash around.
Gray skies picnics:
Whatcom Falls Park (scouting) 2011-01-03 Cornwall Park picnic, 2011-01-08 Birchwood Park, 2011-01-22 [map] Marine Park picnic, 2011-01-29 [map] Fairhaven Park (scouting) Fairhaven Park picnic, 2011-02-05 [map] Whatcom Falls Park picnic, 2011-03-05 [map] St. Patrics Day Parade 2011-03-12 [map] Birchwood Park picnic, 2011-03-19 [map]
- Cornwall Park picnic 2011-03-26
- farmers market opens!
- no picnic?
- LinuxFest, BTC, Squalicum Creek, 2011-04-30
- Lake Padden
Blue skies picnics:
- Boulevard Park picnic, 2011-04-xx? [route]
- Zuanich Park picnic, 2011-04-xx ? [route]
- LinuxFest Northwest @ BTC 2011-04-30
- Adaptive Cycle Festival @ Civic Field May 21, 2011
- Interurban Trail @Old Samish Way
- Marine Walk (off Marine Drive before, between Bennet and Airport Way) [map]
- Hovander Homestead (route debatable, I bike there from work, up Northwest or we could do Marine Drive)
- Lake Samish picnic
- Cedarville Farm
I would also prefer to make scouting runs to the parks I haven’t biked to yet. I wouldn’t mind company but I’d prefer an adult pace, minimal luggage and no playtime so as to familiarize myself with the area, chose routes better for kids, scout preferable covered benches and bathrooms, etc.
- Lake Padden (scouting)
- Lake Samish (scouting)
Organizational thots: I like the idea of beginning at either my house with a map review, bike safety check, and sharing cell phone numbers. I would prefer the kids lead the bike safety check. I’m OK with meeting guests at the destination or waypoints, just contact me so we have a plan.
I wouldn’t mind moving incorporating Facebook Invites/Events mechanism into this to manage invitations, but not all people are on FB. Or Evite, or Google Calendar. Feedback welcome.