When I was reassembling the drive cages in Beavertail, it was definitely plain that one set was more damaged than the adjacent set. The only two obvious flaws were heat, and grounding.
I had been monitoring the heat off and on, and the drives never even got higher than 90F, and they are laptop drives, so they should stand up to 120F.
The orientation of the drive cages was less professional. I noticed that one was sitting where some drive PCB could touch the chassis, which was a tip off.
But when putting the cages back together, one of the Molex splitters was busted. It had a yellow lead pushed backwards making dubious contact inside the housing, and one of the y leads had broken free.
Well, good thing I had a pocket knife: the spreaders on the bullet connection were bent backwards. I also opened the rear of the bullet, stripped the loose wire down and chomped it back onto form with my teeth.
I Frackin Hate(tm) those dirt ball Molex connectors. You spend more time on fixing them than snapping them together. Tip: after the housing is snapped together, shove each wire into it further.
And the happy ending: I only lost three files out of two different snapshots. The snapshots I didn’t need, so I destroyed them, and resilvering cleaned up the mess. After putting the cages back, I ran a final scrub and it went fine.