Bob Reynolds

Bob took me and my family so many places. I cherish how much of nature I got to see with him. I have always been amazed at how much he loved to be goofy with kids. Like, embarrassingly goofy. He wanted to live a generous and educational life. He thrived on sharing topics he could teach. He published papers, he inspired others to publish, teach and research. His greatest respect was for the natural world and discovering the past. He grew up in a world where practical accomplishments were admirable, and was an example to me of how to become proficient at fixing and understanding processes and mechanics. He was brave and proactive with people. When camping, he would frequently approach other campers, introduce himself and offer snacks and beers to create a relationship, especially in areas that attracted gun lovers that liked to fire shots in our favorite camp grounds. There was a lot to learn from this man. There is a lot left to teach.

Just a Hutch

Right?

I had to squeeze this photo with perspective transform a few times to get the snapshot looking the way I wanted. Smoothed color layer, desaturated contrast layer.

Maple dice box

I came across a 2×6 scrap of what I’ve been told is maple. I sawed it up into a few dice boxes that I’m using my router to hollow. Each is going to be finished with linseed oil, but constructed in slightly different manners. This one is the first time I’ve used brass threaded inserts, which are surprisingly fragile.

I enjoy the look of the separation that exposed the grain.

And three magnets seem to keep it closed well enough. I might use more or use bigger magnets on the next ones.

Adding Lots of Storage Pools to Libvirt

I do not enjoy having subdirectories involved for storing files in libvert. The virt-manager interface is just way too brutal about how you manually add storage pools. After much ranting, I wrote a bash script to add these directories for my VM disk images.

  1 #!/bin/bash
  2 
  3 set -e
  4 #set -x
  5 existing_pools=()
  6 export existing_pools
  7 
  8 function add_this_dir() {
  9     local -n xisting_pools="$1"
 10     if [ ! -d "$2" ]; then
 11       echo "add_this_dir: $2 is not a directory"
 12       return
 13     fi
 14     local shortname=`basename $2`
 15     if [[ " ${xisting_pools[@]} " =~ " $2 " ]]; then
 16       echo "$2 already exists"
 17       sudo virsh pool-start "$shortname"  &>/dev/null ||:
 18       sudo virsh pool-autostart "$shortname"  &>/dev/null ||:
 19       return
 20     fi
 21     if [[ " ${xisting_pools[@]} " =~ " $shortname " ]]; then
 22       echo "$shortname already exists"
 23       sudo virsh pool-start "$shortname" &>/dev/null ||:
 24       sudo virsh pool-autostart "$shortname" &>/dev/null  ||:
 25       return
 26     fi
 27     sudo virsh pool-define-as --name $shortname --type dir --target "$2" --source-path "$2"
 28     sleep 1
 29     sudo virsh pool-start "$shortname" &>/dev/null ||:
 30     sudo virsh pool-autostart "$shortname"  &>/dev/null ||:
 31     sleep 1
 32 }
 33 
 34 while read L; do
 35   if [[ x$L = x ]]; then continue; fi
 36   hunks=($L) 
 37   existing_pools+=("${hunks[0]}")
 38 done < <(sudo virsh pool-list --all | grep -v -e Autostart -e '----' )
 39 
 40 echo "You have these existing pools defined: "
 41 echo "%%${existing_pools[@]}%%"
 42 
 43 while read D; do
 44   add_this_dir existing_pools "/tank/VMs/$D"
 45 done < <(ls /tank/VMs) 
 46 while read D; do
 47   add_this_dir existing_pools "/tank/softlib/iso/$D"
 48 done < <(ls /tank/softlib/iso)

 

Bass of Spades assembled!

Jesse worked hard on the Bass from morning to night, with some long interruptions to build fencing around the chicken run. We started off the morning by soldering the knobs and and the pickups.

It took filing a rough spot on the bridge and flux to get the ground wire soldered to the bridge. Then we used a chisel to carve a spot for the solder bump.

Before I knew it, Jesse had punded in the peg post collars and had put the neck on the body.

He was really excited to get his first string on a peg!

After dinner, Jesse had screwed most of the pickups on. He unfortunately broke a drill bit of in the body when sinking pilot holes for the low pickup. We had to drill some surrounding area out and use needle nose to back out the bit. And when we did, Jesse got right on to adjusting his bridge.

We finished off the evening listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Primus.

Staining the Bass of Spades

Jesse has named it The Bass of Spades. We gave a second coat of stain to the headstock and only coat was needed for the body. The neck/fretboard got boiled linseed oil.

The twine on the body unspun itself and it dropped to the floor. Retied it

Building a bass, 1

Jesse is building an electric bass guitar from a kit we bought from Reverb. We need to sand and finish the neck and body. Then we solder the electronics together. The results will be gratifying.

To focus on using supplies we have, we decided to use a darker teak stain for the body and headstock. The fretboard we will treat with linseed oil.