Bass of Spades assembled!

Jesse worked hard on the Bass from morning to night, with some long interruptions to build fencing around the chicken run. We started off the morning by soldering the knobs and and the pickups.

It took filing a rough spot on the bridge and flux to get the ground wire soldered to the bridge. Then we used a chisel to carve a spot for the solder bump.

Before I knew it, Jesse had punded in the peg post collars and had put the neck on the body.

He was really excited to get his first string on a peg!

After dinner, Jesse had screwed most of the pickups on. He unfortunately broke a drill bit of in the body when sinking pilot holes for the low pickup. We had to drill some surrounding area out and use needle nose to back out the bit. And when we did, Jesse got right on to adjusting his bridge.

We finished off the evening listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Primus.

Staining the Bass of Spades

Jesse has named it The Bass of Spades. We gave a second coat of stain to the headstock and only coat was needed for the body. The neck/fretboard got boiled linseed oil.

The twine on the body unspun itself and it dropped to the floor. Retied it

Building a bass, 1

Jesse is building an electric bass guitar from a kit we bought from Reverb. We need to sand and finish the neck and body. Then we solder the electronics together. The results will be gratifying.

To focus on using supplies we have, we decided to use a darker teak stain for the body and headstock. The fretboard we will treat with linseed oil.