Lifting my bike up on the overhead hook is getting more difficult. Possibly the junk on the floor, likely I’m developing arthritis in my left elbow. This was a good practice making my next block and tackle.
Cascadia Weekly just published an interview with Rosalind Reynoldshttps://sylviacenterforthearts.org/event/unsung-by-rosalind-reynolds/2021-03-19/">show, Unsung, opens Fria Mar 19</a> at 7:30.The show, Unsung, opens Fria Mar 19 at 7:30.
Rosalind Reynolds has written another engaging play! This time, a main stage production about the early years of the famous 6th century hero, Beowulf. Streaming in March:
Friday, March 19
Saturday, March 20
Friday, March 26
Saturday, March 27
Friday, April 2
Saturday, April 3
I had to squeeze this photo with perspective transform a few times to get the snapshot looking the way I wanted. Smoothed color layer, desaturated contrast layer.
They are getting along nicely.
This beautiful piece of wood was passed on from an instrument builder, it looks like a perfect species for a fretboard. It’s 1-1/4″ thick. I desire 7/8″ for dice to slide, and 13/16″ is narrow enough to make them wedge.
I have some narrow gauge saw blades but not nearly so thin as a band saw blade. So if my kerf is 1/8″, I have problems. I cannot see how to make dice boxes tall enough to have the nice presentation face as a lid without using a separate 6″ slab to cut from.
It might be possible to carefully join a second piece of wood into the spare 4″ scrap from four 6″ boxes, but pairing this wood with something uninspiring is unattractive. I don’t have an acrylic mix, which might be fun.
I’m unsure how to finish this wood, too. Is linseed going to darken it? I used linseed on Jesse’s bass neck and it was perfect, but that was totally different wood. I guess it would be sensible to cut a piece off the end and treat it to see the effect.
I came across a 2×6 scrap of what I’ve been told is maple. I sawed it up into a few dice boxes that I’m using my router to hollow. Each is going to be finished with linseed oil, but constructed in slightly different manners. This one is the first time I’ve used brass threaded inserts, which are surprisingly fragile.
I enjoy the look of the separation that exposed the grain.
And three magnets seem to keep it closed well enough. I might use more or use bigger magnets on the next ones.
Jesse worked hard on the Bass from morning to night, with some long interruptions to build fencing around the chicken run. We started off the morning by soldering the knobs and and the pickups.
It took filing a rough spot on the bridge and flux to get the ground wire soldered to the bridge. Then we used a chisel to carve a spot for the solder bump.
Before I knew it, Jesse had punded in the peg post collars and had put the neck on the body.
He was really excited to get his first string on a peg!
After dinner, Jesse had screwed most of the pickups on. He unfortunately broke a drill bit of in the body when sinking pilot holes for the low pickup. We had to drill some surrounding area out and use needle nose to back out the bit. And when we did, Jesse got right on to adjusting his bridge.
We finished off the evening listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Primus.
A clever way to keep that body from spinning in the breeze of the fan.
Jesse carefully masked the body of the bass and we primed and sprayed two coats of silver paint on it.
And I created a way to stop the body from spinning in the breeze