Next Scrap

This beautiful piece of wood was passed on from an instrument builder, it looks like a perfect species for a fretboard. It’s 1-1/4″ thick. I desire 7/8″ for dice to slide, and 13/16″ is narrow enough to make them wedge.

I have some narrow gauge saw blades but not nearly so thin as a band saw blade. So if my kerf is 1/8″, I have problems. I cannot see how to make dice boxes tall enough to have the nice presentation face as a lid without using a separate 6″ slab to cut from.

It might be possible to carefully join a second piece of wood into the spare 4″ scrap from four 6″ boxes, but pairing this wood with something uninspiring is unattractive. I don’t have an acrylic mix, which might be fun.

I’m unsure how to finish this wood, too. Is linseed going to darken it? I used linseed on Jesse’s bass neck and it was perfect, but that was totally different wood. I guess it would be sensible to cut a piece off the end and treat it to see the effect.

Maple dice box

I came across a 2×6 scrap of what I’ve been told is maple. I sawed it up into a few dice boxes that I’m using my router to hollow. Each is going to be finished with linseed oil, but constructed in slightly different manners. This one is the first time I’ve used brass threaded inserts, which are surprisingly fragile.

I enjoy the look of the separation that exposed the grain.

And three magnets seem to keep it closed well enough. I might use more or use bigger magnets on the next ones.

Building a bass, 1

Jesse is building an electric bass guitar from a kit we bought from Reverb. We need to sand and finish the neck and body. Then we solder the electronics together. The results will be gratifying.

To focus on using supplies we have, we decided to use a darker teak stain for the body and headstock. The fretboard we will treat with linseed oil.

Table Saw Maintenance

These wheels will save my back. Made out of a 2×6 and 6in wheels with 6in iron rods as axles.

Making the wooden brackets was fun. They could be more secure, but I didn’t have time to snip up some nail plate and dig up small sheet metal screws.

The more frustrating part of this saw is that the bevel alignment is the weakest part. The BPS15 model has a really weak attachment between the bevel handle and the pinion gear. I drilled opposing holes through the back of the knob and screwed it in place.

Next the bevel adjustment bolts to make 0 and 45 angles correct are also kind of a joke. You loosen them and it actually just frees part if the saw bracing from the housing. I would really rather have seen a better mechanism, like an offset screw. Crappy.

Troll dice

Made these out of a reclaimed piece of 4×10. Threw out quite a bit of eaten wood and threw out the ones that started to issue termites.

Next time, I will use forstner bits or drill ahead of time and trim them down on the table saw to correct the chip out.